Skip to main content

Beauty of Love Divine


Check out this Sonnet by Michelangelo:

The course of my life has brought me now
Through a stormy sea, in a frail ship,
To the common port where, landing
We account for every deed, wretched or holy.

So that finally I see
How wrong the fond illusion was
That made art my idol and my King,
Leading me to want what harmed me.

My amorous fancies, once foolish and happy
What sense have they now that I approach two deaths
The first of which I know is sure, the second threatening.

Let neither painting nor carving any longer calm
My soul turned to that divine Love
Who to embrace us, opened His arms upon the cross.

-On the Brink of DeathTo Giorgio Vasari, Sonnet LXV

WOW.

This reminds me to think of life in reverse. It may seem weird, but looking at the end - or starting with the end in mind - can give us perspective.

When we think (like Michelangelo did here) from the perspective of death, suddenly many things we chase after seem insignificant and deceptive.

  • Things that we thought would make us happy.
  • Things that we made our idols and worshiped with our time and resources.
  • Things that gave us the illusion that we are the Captain of our own ship.
  • Things that soothe us momentarily, but turn into bondage.

Even good things can turn into an idol of our own design. We end up worshiping the created rather than the Creator. Even Michelangelo confessed this truth. While his art was a fantastic gift and gift to the world, God's gift was greater.

The beauty of Love Divine is this:  God Himself embraced us when He "opened His arms upon the cross."


Let us not wait until death to embrace Love Divine in return. 

May we throw aside idols and our "fond illusions" while we can. 

Because at the end of our lives, we will see with our own eyes that the beauty of Love Divine is more awesome, more precious, than anything we've ever experienced before. 





Popular posts from this blog

Living in the Light

Recently I was leading our congregation in the old hymn “Great is Thy Faithfulness.”  I’ve always been intrigued by a particular phrase in verse 1. Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father There is no shadow of turning with Thee Thou changes not, Thy compassions, they fail not As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be There is no shadow of turning with God. Think about that for a minute. A shadow is formed when an object blocks another light source. This means there has to be an external light source in order for a shadow to be created. There is no light source other than God. He is the source.  There is no shadow when He turns. There is no other source of Light and Truth. He is constant, everlasting, and never-changing.  Without Him, there is only darkness… not even a shadow! Mind. Blown. Consider James 1: 17 Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes o

Week 1- Experiments in Gratitude

Thankfulness.  Gratefulness.  (Adj.)    The realization that we are blessed.  In more ways- each day- than we realize.     It's been an interesting experiment so far. It seems the minute I choose something and begin to "practice" thanksgiving throughout the day, I am suddenly in deep testing mode.  It's not been easy doing this for even a week. This was a surprise to me. For some reason I thought practicing thankfulness would be a breeze- natural- like breathing.  I had another thing coming.  I guess this thing that came was called "life."  As in the first day when I chose to practice gratitude for my job... it was the worst day on that job I've ever had.  I'm not kidding. A sampling of what I practiced this week: job(s) my beautiful house moments of silence good health that we can choose growth, not apathy that we can pursue our calling in life the helper that brings peace, comfort and wisdom to my life Now, please unders

Peacekeeping Vs Peacemaking- What's the Difference?

Being at peace with everyone seems impossible and at the very least, improbable. It hurts to not feel at peace with everyone, because we want to be liked (and drama free) right? It doesn't feel good when relationships go badly.  But this goes deeper than being liked or eliminating drama. It's about growing into mature people of God.  That's why Paul, in Romans 12:18 encourages us to ... do everything possible on your part to live in peace with everybody.   This is actually encouraging to me, because I may honestly do everything I feel is humanly possible, but still not achieve resolution- or even reconciliation in some cases.  Unfortunately these things aren't always possible, but a transformation of our own hearts and the practice of maturing as a peacemaker is... ...because we can only control ourselves and our behavior,  no matter what the other person does. (insert big sigh here. Okay 2 big sighs)  There's a big difference between peacek